Monday 7 October 2013

Meadham Kirchhoff SS14

So... I was reading Rookie's  Meadham Kirchhoff Spring/Summer 14 piece- which i LOVE- I think their seasonly articles are part of my love for the brand as opposed to a nice extra, it feels like you really get under the skin of the collection before its presented commercially in the magazines.  Edward Meadham described the SS14 offering as- 

“I called the collection Ante Dominae (which apparently is a misspelling—oops!), by which I mean anti-society, anti–mainstream culture. Do want you want, create your own alternative, your own narrative, and your own set of codes and morals."

Considering the collections ethos, I spotted this snakeskin jacket,


Familiar? Perhaps not without the context- but after reading Meadham's commentary, i couldn't help but draw comparisons...


"This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom." Wild at Heart, David Lynch


Pretty cool! Its probably one of my favourite things when i actually GET a reference in a collection without looking it up or reading about it, or the feeling of connecting to an ethos behind a collection/brand.. and i think thats why i love the label so much. Sometimes it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when a collection resonates with my interests. I find it hard to swallow that a mostly middle aged upper class man could GET what i'm about- ahem Jeremy Scott i'm looking at you- but with Meadham Kirchhoff the collections are never contrived. The fact they allow a young photographer in to their studio during fashion season really cements their genuine respect for teen girls that love their work- despite the fact we can't afford the clothes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment